PERSONAL INJURY LAW for OVER 45 YEARS! We Have Won Over 98% of Our Cases*

What Reports Should I Make After an Orange County Car Accident?

If you’ve been in an Orange County car accident, you’re aware of the shock and fright brought on by such an event. Car accidents can shake you up physically and mentally. Immediately after an accident, you’re likely thinking of how badly you’ve been injured, whether the people in the car with you are okay, and the damage to your car. Yet, in the days to come, there are several reports you should file. Here’s a handy list for you to keep track of the reports to make:

  • File a Police Report Within 24 Hours of the Crash: You will need to file a police report even if no one involved in your accident was injured. According to the California Vehicle Code, Section 20008, any driver of any vehicle who has been in a car accident must report the accident to either the California Highway Patrol, or the local police department where the crash took place. This report has to be filed within 24 hours of your accident. Generally, the police officer arriving at the scene will write this report. You should tell the officer your version of what happened and whether you are injured. Try to get a copy of the police report to take home with you, because your insurance company will likely require a copy.
  • File a Report with the California DMV: If any of the following events happened because of your accident, you are required to report the crash to the California DMV:
  1. Someone in the accident was injured—regardless of the severity of the injury
  2. Someone in the accident was killed
  3. The accident caused over $1000 worth of damage to a car or real property

To report your accident to the DMV, you’ll need to fill out an SR1, also known as a Traffic Accident Report. It’s available here on the DMV website.

  • Report the Accident to Your Insurer : According to your insurance contract with your insurer, you probably need to report a car accident that you’ve been involved in relatively soon after it occurs. Failing to report it quickly enough could lead to your insurance company rejecting your claims. Whether you were at fault or not, make a report of the accident to your insurance company and provide any information requested, such as the police report.

We highly recommend that if you are injured in an accident, you call the police right away. After that, that you contact a highly experienced California personal injury lawyer before giving any statements to anyone.  Our experienced injury lawyers handle cases all over California, including Orange County.

Have you been injured in a car accident in Orange County that was caused by the negligence of the other driver? If so, you may have the right to sue the other driver for damages. Whether the other driver was illegally intoxicated, texting while driving, or driving in an unsafe manner, Walch Law is here to help you. Our office has decades of experience working with car accident victims who have been injured in accidents throughout Southern California. We work on a contingency fee—meaning you’ll pay nothing unless you get paid first. If you would like to speak with a car accident attorney about the circumstances of your case and schedule your consultation, then call Walch Law today at 1-866-INJURY-2.

Contact Information